Monday, June 2, 2008

Finding Found Money

There's no pleasanter surprise than "found" money. I got a call today from a relative who was searching a database in my state for abandoned property and came across two items in my name. I searched myself, made a claim and now await to hear of my good fortune.

Abandoned property is any financial asset with no activity for a specific period of time. In my state it's three years. This could include money in savings or checking accounts, unpaid wages, commissions, stocks, uncashed dividends and many other types of unclaimed or "abandoned" financial assets.

This money gets turned over to the state for safekeeping. The state may or may not publish this information in local newspapers, but not if the amount is a small one.

One way to find out if you have any abandoned property in the form of unclaimed money, you can go to a website like www.missingmoney.com or try a search on your state's website. Usually you can make a claim online but may have to provide some additional documentation to receive your payment.

Both of my claims are for under $100 but I don't know exactly how much either is. Hey, it's found money, so it's all good. The point is that I wouldn't even know about it and therefore, wouldn't have even one penny of it if I hadn't checked for it. So, you have nothing to lose, and much to gain for just a few minutes time.

1 comment:

NetDebt said...

I am adding you feed to my reader